Statistics is the art of making informed decisions in the face of uncertainty. Statistical reasoning is fundamental to research in many fields.
- Education and psychology: probabilistic models of learning
- Science and engineering: time series and regression models
- Law: forensic medicine and DNA fingerprinting
- Social and political science: complex sampling surveys
- Medicine: randomized clinical trials
- Actuarial sciences
Our research strengths, aside from traditional interests in multivariate analysis, reliability, meta-analysis, and time series, are now in the areas of neurostatistics, statistics in psychiatry, and clinical trials methodology. We collaborate with departments in Pitt’s School of Arts and Sciences and throughout the University.
Resources include opportunities for interdisciplinary research and collaboration with other departments at Pitt and major scientific research centers such as the following.