The application deadline for applying for the Fall term for full consideration of admission and financial aid is January 15th, and must be submitted electronically through Apply Yourself. Prior to submitting your application, please take a look at the requirements below and answers to Frequently Asked Questions.
- Fee: $75 check or payment voucher if you choose to pay your application fee by credit card. When you have completed your online application, you will be asked to pay the application fee, after which your application is transmitted through a secure server. Only after you complete and submit your application will it be available for review by the Department of Statistics. The university provides fee waiver provisions for certain applicant groups, and here is the link https://www.asgraduate.pitt.edu/admissions/application-fee-waivers.
- Transcripts: Upload copies of your undergraduate transcripts and when applicable, graduate transcripts, with your online application. DO NOT SEND OFFICIAL TRANSCRIPTS. If you are recommended for an admission, certified transcripts and translations of all undergraduate and graduate study will be required at the time of your admission recommendation.
- Career Statement/statement of purpose: You should submit your statement of purpose in the "Additional Information" section of the online application for admission, which allows you to upload your document. Please also upload CV's or research/writing papers as well.
- Three forms/letters of recommendation: You should submit the names of three referees with your online application for admission. The recommendation form we ask to be included with each letter of recommendation is available for download as a PDF file once you begin your online application process. Referees should submit their recommendations electronically.
- GRE Scores: The Graduate Record Examination (GRE) score is required for application to our PhD program*. There is no specific score requirement as the GRE is only one aspect of your application that the committee looks at during the review process. You should self-report your scores on the online application for informational purposes; however, you must have ETS submit official GRE scores to us. The institutional code for the University of Pittsburgh is 2927, and if needed, the department code for Statistics is 0705. GRE scores are acceptable for five years after the test date. *GRE SCORES ARE NOT REQUIRED FOR APPLICATION TO THE MASTER’S PROGRAM.
TOEFL or IELTS is a University requirement for all applicants whose native language is not English (even if English has been the medium of instruction in your courses).
- TOEFL: We require a minimum score of 90, with a score of at least 22 in all four sections.
- IELTS: We require a minimum score of 7.0, with a score of at least 6.5 in all four sections.
Please enter your scores in the TOEFL section of the online application. TOEFL scores submitted must not be more than two years old. An official copy of the test score must be sent directly from ETS or IELTS to our department. The institution code is 2927, and the department code is 59. Personal copies of test scores are not acceptable.
Language Exemptions: Applicants who have completed or about to complete a bachelor's degree or graduate degree from a regionally accredited institution in the United States or TOEFL-exempt country are exempt from submission of the TOEFL or IELTS.
Your application must be submitted by the deadline date. Any application materials needing mailed after that date should be sent to the following address.
University of Pittsburgh
Department of Statistics
1800 Wesley W. Posvar Hall
230 S. Bouquet Street
Pittsburgh, PA 15260
Many questions about our graduate program can be answered by checking our FAQ's or contact the Academic Coordinator, email@example.com for additional questions.